Thursday, March 17, 2016

IRS SCAM

I received this e-mail claiming to be from the IRS, offering me a chance to get additional tax refunds from previous years. It is a scam.

I remembered that the IRS does not initiate contact via phone or e-mail, so I regarded this e-mail suspiciously. I'm glad I did.
It is a scam, the link provided goes to a dangerous phishing website. I managed to test the site with my virus protection software and check the html code to view the link destination. It does not go the IRS website or anything recognizable. Instead it goes a site called "uolga,com/apps" (which was flagged by my virus protection software.

If you receive this email or one similar to it, do not hesitate to report it to the IRS via their specific e-mail address: phishing@irs.gov.


No comments:

Post a Comment